Skip to main content

Entertainment Video Final

What Did I Do



Camera assignment 1

This was our first project of the year for entertainment video. We had to make a 2-3 minute video utilizing the 6 shot system. This included Extreme-Closeup, Closeup, Medium, Wide , Extreme Wide, Over the Shoulder, and Point of View Shot. At first it was a bit tricky trying to find a way to incorporate all these shots but eventually we worked them all in. It took us about two weeks to finish or film from pre production to post production. One of our biggest criticisms was our audio. Audio is extremely important and you have to make sure its balanced and mixed correctly otherwise it can ruin a film. This project taught me a lot about shot variety and how it can add to a film, because before this year we were mainly just using wide and medium shots. Overall I though we did pretty good o this assignment and i'm satisfied with the outcome.



Commercial

For this assignment we were required to make a 15, 30, or 60 second commercial that is aimed to market a product or service. My group chose to do a 30 second commercial for Levis. We shot it in down town Kansas City next to a large brick building. We finished this film in a two and a half week time frame. Some feedback we were given is that we didn't show case the product enough. this could have been easily fixed by shooting close ups of the product and the brand name. I learned a lot about commercials and advertising during this projects, for example, good commercials are able to create an emotional connection and give all the logistics about a project or service in a very short period of time. I really enjoyed this project and the amount of freedom we had but if I do wish our commercial had more variety of shots.



Short Film 

For our short film we developed scripts from the treatments that had not gotten chosen to be a feature film. It could be anywhere from 5-20 minutes in length. the whole process of creating our short film took about a month. The biggest issue we face along the way was that our script had to many main characters which made scheduling days to film with actors a nightmare. We eventually rewrote the script with less characters so we could find a time to film. Some feedback we were given is that we had a lot of wind noise being picked up by the mic. This could have easily been fixed by slightly changing the script and filming that scene inside. This project taught me that your film must be carried by a strong and entertaining story otherwise it doesn't matter how good your shots or editing was. I am pretty satisfied with the outcome but I did wish we spent more time adjusting the camera settings because a lot of shots were overexposed and out of focus.




Time usage 

I feel that I have used my time in this class effectively and efficiently. If I finished any work early I would discuss with my group members and see if there was anything else I could do. I spent free time discussing movies with pears, and reading movie reviews in order to get a better understanding of what makes a great film. I spent my time out of class trying to get familiar with the camera. I would hang out with my friend Drew who recently purchased a camera and we would shoot photos and practice filming with him.


Strengths and Weaknesses

One of my greatest strengths is time management. I really don't like having to turn stuff in late so I work extremely hard to meet deadlines. I also am very good with working with groups of people. I am able to communicate with classmates effectively in order to get work done on time. Something I still want to improve upon are my camera skills. I have spent time out of class trying to get a better understanding of the camera but I still need a lot practice to get to the point where I feel comfortable taking no a roll like DP. 



Guest Speakers 

My favorite guest speaker was Morgan Cooper. He was very down to earth and a really entertaining. He used a lot of entertaining stories in order to educate the class. He taught me that you must be extremely committed to being a film maker in order to be successful and that its going to start out ruff but you must work through it. he also told us how important it is to just get yourself out there and start building connections in order to kick start your career. I am very glad and thankful that I got to listen and discuss film with Morgan Cooper.


All American High School Film Festival 

I was one of the lucky eComm students who were able to go to New York and experience this film festival. Watching all of the short film was amazing and inspiring. Some of the films were absolutely amazing and you wouldn't be able to tell a high schooler made them. I learned that we should never underestimate ourselves and if we put enough effort in we can make quality films that stand up to those of professionals. I also got to meet a bunch of individuals from other states who all share a passion for film, I even got a business card. Overall this was a great experience and im looking forward to going back next year.



Summary 

I really enjoyed this semester of entertainment video. It was such a step up from what we did sophomore year. We had so much creative freedom and were able to completely work on our own in groups. If I could change one thing I would have probably tried to be a DP for one of our film assignment so i can become more comfortable with the camera. that also my goal for next semester; to get a better understanding of the camera in order to become a better film maker. my biggest take away is that you must be able to effectively communicate with your group members otherwise nothing ever gets done. Overall I really enjoyed getting to know all my classmates this semester and I cant wait to work on the feature film with them next semester.


































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Video

The Kids Turned out Fine - A$AP Rocky This music video is a collage of teenagers and children messing around having fun, maybe having a little too much fun shown by drug use and law enforcement involvment. These events are seamlessly sewn together by flowing transitions and over the top editing. The line "The kids turned out fine" is repeated throughout most of the music video and is almost ironic but also comforting. There isn't much of story to this video as it is mostly disconnected events but there is a very powerful theme of kids naturally wanting to rebel and have fun. A$AP Rocky always makes sure to have a super diverse group of people for his music videos. An abundance of different cultures, races, and sexuality's are shown in this video and it really suits the theme. One of my favorite elements of this music video is the editing. Each shot pans into the next shot with over the top editing and transitions, it makes the disconnected events feel connected and

Senior Final

 Throughout my eComm career my favorite three projects have been my Levis commercial, Wimp, and Kingfisher. These video projects have taught me so many valuable skills and were a blast to work on. Levis Commercial  This is a project I completed towards the beginning of junior year. The goal was to create a captivating commercial in 30 second format. We chose to do Levis and picked downtown as our location to film. This was my first big project I worked on and it was so much fun getting to go downtown with my group. While on set the seniors taught me many valuable and key camera skills. We also were collaborating and communicating so well which made everything really fun and entertaining. During post production I was even taught how to color correct using DaVinci. Our end result turned out amazing and looked fantastic. Overall this project was so much fun and taught me so much.  Kingfisher  This is the Feature Film I worked on last year. The production role I took on was Production Assi

Vans Commercial

 Production  Our commercial was for Vans, the concept that we wanted to get across was that vans are a great durable shoe that bring people together.  Our pre production went really smoothly and we got our script and storyboards all done. Production also went extremely well. It was a little interesting to film at a skate park, we had to make sure not to get in anyones way but overall it was really fun. Post production could have gone better though. Our video was turned in late and it didn't meet the 30 second requirement. That is definitely something to improve on. I think we did a pretty good job on all the five guarantees except communication and project management. I would like to see things turned in on time for my next project, and to have better communication between editor and cinematographer.  Role   For this commercial I took on the production role of cinematographer. This was one of my goals I set last year: I wanted get more familiar with the camera and hone my skills. I